Being a type A superfreak about most things equestrian, I love lists. I love charts. I love to do lists. I love goals. When I am really stressed, I love to organize. When things are out of my control, I hyper focus on what I can control. I am very lucky and thankful that Rio is on the mend from his spider bite of death, so I can finally breath a sigh of relief and start looking toward the future. Fall shows seem too far away still, so instead I want to focus on summer goals, aka now through the end of August.
If you are a frequent reader of my blog, you will remember that before Rio’s recent injury we had just completed his first real h/j show. I was so freaking excited to have had such an amazing show experience (I still am!) and now I cannot wait until the fall shows. We will have our work cut out for us getting back into show shape after his month plus long lay-up, but thankfully we will have plenty of time.
Summer Goals List:
- Finish up Rio’s vet care and get Amazing Vet’s ok to start riding.
- Focusing on the basics while legging him back up- proper straightness, reaching forward into the bridle, promptness off the aids, consistency in the gaits.
- Once we start jumping, focus on the hard stuff, aka the exercises that show your weakness such as “circle of death” and similar grid type work.
- Inter-mix jump work with strength training flat work, working different paces within the same gait and strengthening the lateral movements.
- Not dying in the summer heat!
In short, I want to spend the summer really hitting the hard stuff so the fall shows will feel easy! Perfect plan, right?!? We all know things never go to plan with horses but at least I have a place to start!
Until then, don’t mind me sitting over here with some scotch!